Game manuals contain game descriptions and scoring, robot rules, and tournament rules. Game manuals are updated throughout the game season. Monitor the VEX Forum and the VEX U Q&A to see updates and clarifications as they're released.
The 2023-24 VEX U game, Over Under, is played on a 12’x12’ square field configured as seen below. Two (2) Alliances—one (1) “red” and one (1) “blue”—each composed of one team with two robots, compete in Matches consisting of a 45-second (0:45) autonomous period followed by a one minute and fifteen second (1:15) driver controlled period.
The object of the game is to attain a higher score than the opposing Alliance by Scoring Triballs in Goals and by Elevating at the end of the Match.
There are sixty (60) Triballs, two (2) Goals, and two (2) sets of Elevation Bars on an Over Under game field, which is divided by a Barrier. Triballs can be scored in the Goals and in Offensive Zones of the field. Each Triball scored in a Goal is worth 5 points. Each Triball scored in an Offensive Zone is worth 2 points. Robots can traverse the field however they choose, whether that's driving over the dividing Barrier or under either set of Elevation Bars. Triballs can only be removed from an opponent's goal if their two alliance Robots are on the same side of the Barrier, or "Double Zoned."
As the match clock winds down, Robots will try to outclimb their opponents to reach higher Elevation Tiers. At the end of the Match, the Robot that has climbed the highest will receive 20 points; the second-highest Robot receives 15 points; third gets 10; and fourth gets 5. Any Robots that share an Elevation Tier are awarded the same number of points based on their comparative height to the other Robots in the Match.
The Alliance that scores more points in the Autonomous period is awarded with eight (8) bonus points, added to the final score at the end of the match. Each VEX U Alliance also has the opportunity to earn an Autonomous Win Point by removing their Alliance Triballs from the Match Load Zones, scoring both Alliance Triballs in Goals, and ending the Autonomous Period with both Robots contacting their Alliance's Elevation Bar. The Autonomous Win Point can be earned by both Alliances, regardless of who wins the Autonomous Bonus.
VEX U Field Setup
- 8 points - Winner of the Autonomous Bonus
- 5 points - Each Triball Scored in a Goal
- 2 points - Each Triball Scored in an Offensive Zone
- 20 points - Elevation Top Tier
- 15 points - Elevation 2nd Tier
- 10 points - Elevation 3rd Tier
- 5 points - Elevation 4th Tier
- Over Under Game Manual (see Appendix C for VEX U)
- VEX U Official Q&A System
- VEX U Robot Inspection Checklist
- Over Under Field Tour Video
- Portable Field Assembly Instructions (Animated)
- Portable Field Assembly Instructions (PDF) (17.8 MB)
- Competition Field Assembly Instructions (Animated)
- Competition Field Assembly Instructions (PDF) (21.5 MB)
- Field CAD (ZIP) (108 MB)